A dirty old cluster of rope is not really the coolest costume part, but I still wanted to make it as screen accurate as I could by giving it the same
shape and rope texture, though finding the right kind of rope in the local stores was not possible when I started this project, so I had to think
of some other way to make it.
As much trouble it was to put this rope bundle together from a bunch of power-cord sleeves that took ages to separate, it was ironically
annoying to see the right kind of rope for sale in another store later on, but as long as mine looks screen accurate and good on the costume, it
should all have been worth it in the end.
Biltema for selling most of the materials I used for this project.
12 days - Between 3 July 2015 and 22 July 2020.
Power-cords - 239,60 NOK.
Polypropylene rope - 29,90.
Cotton string - 0 NOK - Already available.
Foam rubber - 0 NOK - Already available.
Total - 269,50 NOK / $30,3 USD.
The foam rubber was further cut down to the shape of Lara's rope
bundle until it had just the right phallic shape.
If you found this project tutorial helpful, please support my future projects on Patreon.
The edges of the braided sleeves were spliced together with the same
To hide the yellow foam rubber inside the rope bundle, it was covered
up in cloth tape that would look more like the rope texture, while also
holding one end of the rope in place.
Since the black lines were a bit too close together compared to the
original lines, a single row of the black lines was simply removed by
pulling out the black string from the braided sleeve.
Cutting off the braided sleeve from the power-plug was easy enough,
but the sleeve itself was really hard to pull off from the wires without
The only approximation to a rope I could find with the same pattern as
the original was a power-cord with a braided sleeve over it.
My plan was now to remove this braided sleeve from the heavy
power-cord and pull it over a lightweight polypropylene rope instead.
After half a year of pulling and swearing, the braided sleeves from 4
power-cords had been successfully pulled off.
To make it easier to pull off the braided sleeve, I soaked the whole
power-cord in vegetable oil for a while to make the braided sleeve
slide off more easily, making a huge mess in the process.
Pulling the braided sleeves onto the polypropylene rope was
fortunately much easier than removing them was.
To greatly reduce the weight and amount of rope needed, a piece of
foam rubber was cut to the same profile shape as Lara's rope bundle
to be hidden inside it.
The rope was spun around the front and back of the foam rubber piece
to fill in the gaps between the sides of the robe bundle.
The sides of the rope bundle were wrapped up next, and a single loop
of rope was separated from the rest for hanging the robe bundle from
While this loop of rope looks black in the video game, it actually uses
placeholder textures that someone forgot to replace, so I will just
assume that it was meant to look like the rest of the rope.
To keep the shape of the rope bundle in place, a thick white thread
was sewn through 4 to 5 pieces of rope in a zigzag pattern to hold
them all together.
After sewing more of the bottom ropes together, a small loop of rope
was separated from the rest to hold the rope bundle against the lower
Since the black lines were not fully connected on the braided sleeves,
a black permanent marker was used to fill in the gaps to make the
lines look more like the original.
To make the rope a bit more green hued like the original, an acrylic
paint was airbrushed over the rope.
Here you can also see the difference between the airbrushed rope at
the bottom, and the pre-painted rope in the middle.
After airbrushing the rest of the rope and adding a bit more dirt and
shadow around the vertical strings that hold the rope bundle together,
the dirty old rope bundle was completed.